Saturday, November 21, 2009

^@!&$%&$!

I sure hate computer problems. I need some back-story here.

Computer is a custom-built Intel Core2 Quad 2.4GHz PC, Three drives (System, Recording, Data) as well as hard drive docks for backing up files onto external drives / internal drives kept in storage. 4GB GSkill Pi RAM (not sure what I think about this yet...) and a MOTU 24io modded by Black Lion Audio. Running Nuendo in Windows XP. Pretty sick machine. I usually never have problems, but today I had a weird one. Not really that bad or anything, nothing was "lost," but still...very weird.

Recorded a HUGE session (roughly, the equivalent of 48 tracks being recorded at once for 4 minutes, or simply put, roughly 180 minutes of recording time). Afterward, Nuendo exited fine, it saved, nothing went weird. The session was over so I decided to defrag. Did that just fine, no problems. I forgot what exactly I clicked, but I believe I tried to open the MOTU Audio Interface control panel, and my computer "crashed" as they say, which really means it gave me the blue screen of death. DUN DUN DUN.

Needless to say, these are usually harmless if they occur at times that are few are far between. I don't think I've had one of these for handful of months. The problem is, they are usually just a glitch of some kind that is not only untraceable, it's really totally irrelevant. When you restart your computer, it works perfectly fine. SO, could be a RAM issue, or a million other things.

ANYWAY...why did I hate this so much? It erased a few of my plugins. Had to go back and install them again, which was a pain. Opened up a session and it said "missing plugins," and I was like what the heck? And really it didn't "delete" the plugs it just was being weird and not picking up that they were there. I reinstalled them into a fresh new folder and it works perfectly now.

The only upside to this is that Nuendo seems to load much quicker. I think over time I have deleted plugs, weeded out some I never use, and so it no longer loads them or searches for them. A nice fresh start, I suppose. Had to spent about an hour recovering my settings and whatnot, but it's back to normal in perfect working order ready for more sessions.

Sometimes I complain about my computer but I just remember...I could have had a V8! There's nothing harder than trying to record onto a tomato juice can.

No comments:

Post a Comment